I am a very busy lady and to be honest, most times I really don’t have the time to sit and get my nails done… so what do I do? A quick polish in the comfort of my home of course!
As a dentist, I wash my hands ever so often and usually a regular salon manicure would not last me even a full week as the excessive hand washing would cause the nail polish to strip right off my fingernails.
I have been using Essie products for a very long time and I was really excited when I discovered they had a gel top coat that did not require the UV (ultra-violent) light. I am extremely meticulous about my exposure to UV light in general. Read about the possible dangers of UV light gel manicures HERE
So I applied as the instructions stated and my nails dried in about 20-30 minutes.
Instructions on the Essie Gel Setter Top Coat Bottle:
“Apply essie base coat. Follow with 2 coats of essie polish. Top it off with essie’s new gel setter top coat”
Additionally, before any at home self- manicure I recommend that you wash your hands thoroughly before and then wiped off any traces of soap with a rubbing alcohol-soaked cotton ball. Here are the steps I take to apply my polish at home:
1. I buff my nails then wipe with nail polish remover. This actually makes a huge difference as this step helps to prevent tiny bubbles on the polish.
2. So after I did that, I applied my Essie Base coat — waited two minutes
3. Then I picked my colour nail polish (I am almost always wearing a nude, light brown or red). I recommend starting a little below the cuticles and paint to the top to prevent extra thickness and eliminate the eventuality of peeling that we all HATE! — wait two minutes. Apply a second coat of the nail polish again — wait two minutes.
4. Finally the Essie Gel Setter Top Coat. I applied this making sure I got all the edges of my finger nails.
This top coat changed my life! I did a two week run. Here are my nails after two weeks…wish I took the before picture to show you guys!!!
Not only is the product really great, it is DBP, Toluene and Formaldehyde free! I think is truly a great beauty store buy at 10USD (approx. 1200 JMD) especially if you want to avoid UV exposure, the cost of gel manicures, or the salon dependence, it’s a pretty decent alternative.
It encases traditional polish in a crystalline top coat with all the glass-like quality of a gel – no LED or UVB light required and extremely easy to remove; Just polish, dry and go, go, go.
- UV exposure free
- No LED light required
- Last longer than a regular manicure
- Keeps nails shiny
- Doesn’t chip easily, once applied correctly
- Can be done at home
- Can be removed at home easily with pure acetone
- Application requires patience and can be time consuming.
Would I buy this again?
Have you tried this product? Let me know what you think of it!
lots of love,