Communicating is hard sometimes, Right??!?! Who’s with me?!
Well I have really been reflecting on this area, because sometimes I just prefer to not say anything. But, here is the reality – that doesn’t solve anything – especially when it involves the ones you love. So here’s some things I noted.
- Talking isn’t necessarily communicating
- Listen with intention and understanding ( Yikes, I am still working on this! I have that gift of tuning conversations out)
- Understand when it’s time to talk and when it’s time to listen
- Practice to hear what each other is saying
- Take time to repeat what you’re saying if the person doesn’t really understand
- Avoid trying to communicate when you’re angry (Breathe. Think. Think again. Then remember Proverbs 18:21 NKJV “Death and life are in the power of the tongue and those who love it will eat it’s fruit” – then speak.
- Note your tone of voice (also working on this- I’ve always had a very serious, abrupt tone – but I realize this affects how people receive what I am trying to say even if it’s coming from a loving place so it is something you will have to actively work on)
- Remember you are on the same team – we are all part of God’s kingdom.
- Take your defense hat off
- Stop shifting the blame
Well there you have it!
Do you have any communication tips to share? Comment and let me know below.
Have a great Tuesday!
lots of love,