Loving the World too much?

I was once asked: ” how do you stay true yourself/ the world while staying true to God?”

You can’t.

This world is temporary. The things of this world are temporary. Our very human bodies are temporary. We are here on God’s assignment.

I think the real question is who are you trying to please? God or man?

Are we distracted and focusing on temporal things or are we having faith and focusing on eternity ?

You will never receive the gift of the Holy Spirit if you’re loving the world too earnestly.

I like to breakdown this topic into a few questions:

1. Are you invested in wealth or character?

Wealth

Matthew 6: 19-21 (NIV) says:

Treasures in Heaven

“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Character

Matthew 7: 21-23 NIV says:

True and False Disciples

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven,but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23 Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

My friend G recently shared with me that one of the most important thing we must do is focus on developing the character of Jesus above anything else.

2.  Are you seeking life or death?

1 Timothy 4:8 says:

” For boldly exercise profits a little, bit godliness is profitable for all the things having promise of the life that now is and of that which is to come”

Godliness, is a characteristic that gives life and is profitable to all things. Doing God’s will and living for Him, following His word, His commandments, reading and meditating on His Word and spending time with Him — these things lead to LIFE

The more you seek God the more you become focused on His will and purpose on this earth – the more you realize that the things of this world are temporary.

Luke 21:33 NKJV says:

Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will by no means pass away.

Matthew 5:18 NLT says:

I tell you the truth, until heaven and earth disappear, not even the smallest detail of God’s law will disappear until its purpose is achieved.

2 Corinthians 4:18 NIV says:

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

Reading these above verses, I understand that nothing else will add value to my life except for the fear and love of the Lord.

Mark 8:36-38 NLT says:

“And what do you benefit if you gain the whole world but lose your own soul? Is anything worth more than your soul? If anyone is ashamed of me and my message in these adulterous and sinful days, the Son of Man will be ashamed of that person when he returns in the glory of his Father with the holy angels”

Living for the world means we have compromised our faith. Compromising our faith means that at some point we push Jesus to the side to serve our own flesh.

Can you imagine if Jesus pushed us aside?

I know that I do not have to compromise my faith and go against the will of God in order to live a joyful and good life.

How many times have we changed an instruction for the sake of compromise and comfort?

How many times have you sold your soul for the sake of a little worldly pleasure here and there?

James 4:3-5 NLT says:

“And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong—you want only what will give you pleasure. You adulterers! Don’t you realize that friendship with the world makes you an enemy of God? I say it again: If you want to be a friend of the world, you make yourself an enemy of God. Do you think the Scriptures have no meaning? They say that God is passionate that the spirit he has placed within us should be faithful to him.”

Today, I dare you to be rare in a world full of compromise.

Be faithful to God.

lots of ❤️,

The Graced Citizen

One thought on “Loving the World too much?